Monday, October 8, 2012

Thing 12: Google.

I would absolutely-without-a-doubt die if Google calendar wasn't available - I use it for everything! Along with attending school full time (and doing a ridiculous amount of observation hours), I'm a babysitter/nanny/house & dog sitter for six different families, and I also have an active social life. I couldn't do any of this without my phone, which has Google calendar. Seriously, it's the best invention of all time. I'm most likely overstating it, but it is awesome. Users can create different calendars within a main calendar to keep the different areas of their lives separate and the best part is the calendars can be color coded, which makes it easier to keep them separate from one another. Users can also share their calendar with their contacts, allowing them to see their schedule and sometimes other people can modify the calendar.

Another service of Google that I love is Google docs, now known as Google drive. It's basically an online word processing program, which users can access from anywhere to create or modify existing documents. Users can also share their documents, allowing other people to read, and possibly modify, them.

Google calendar and docs can be extremely helpful to a teacher who has their own classroom. Teachers could set up a classroom calendar to share with students and parents, which would allow them to post important dates, such as due dates, field trips, school breaks, and fun days in their classroom. It would also be a good communication opportunity between parents and teachers. Teachers could make any worksheets or handouts in Google docs that way they always have access to them and they could even allow parents access to certain documents. Overall, Google services do some amazing things and could be an awesome resource in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment